Monday, October 23, 2006

Hope this isn't too gruesome

So, while walking through the dry creekbed at "the ranch" yesterday, I came upon the dried body of a bobcat. For those of you who knew me in my pre-outdoor-school days, this may seem like a strange and not-quite-prissy-enough post. But, after learning to boil down skulls (of roadkill, etc.) for our nature museum, I now cannot walk past such a discovery without inspecting it more closely.



I stood it up, and discovered that it had a little fur mohawk.




It was an average sized cat. I'm not sure how it died, but it was only missing its back limbs, and all of the skin was intact, so it was probably just sick.



My brother handed me a used dryer sheet that he found in his coat pocket, and I used it to move the skeleton into the bushes so that no local passers by would run over it with their dirtbikes. You should have seen my brothers' faces watching thier baby ballerina sister holding a dried carcass. It made for an interesting outing.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a mixture of disgusted and intrigued...what a cool discovery.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. You're wicked outdoorsy.
That's wicked hot.

Cyn said...

that is so cool. my first thought was, i wonder if she took a tooth for a keepsake.

barefootkangaroo said...

Easily the coolest post I have ever encountered in all of the blogosphere. I would take that carcass, boil the skull and put it on display in my residence if I were you. Or at least take its teeth or something.

lisa d said...

thanks tate!

sarah said...

very gross. interesting, but pretty gross.

i am such a girl!

Rocket Surgeon, Phd said...

I shant sleep tonight