Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Vacation from debate

Sorry, Steve, that it has taken me so long to get back to this, I needed a rest. I have read and reread the article you sent me, and here is my question: if "Jesus never suggests that Christians should never use violence in defense of others", does that mean that He suggests that we should? Where?

This Roger Orr brings up the same point as Hal (no, not the organ donor crack; don't get me started on that!), which confuses me. If Jesus tells us to love those who hate and curse us, why would that change when our family or possesions are threatened by the same foe? Job (not Tate, o.g. Bible Job) lost his family and herds, everything that he had, and in response fell to the ground in worship. He did not retaliate; he did not rely on bow or sword, but only on his faith. I do believe that the wicked should be stopped, but I cannot agree with the fact that our nation's solution is to kill. Job "... broke the fangs of the wicked and snatched the victims from their teeth." (29:17) You have assumed that because I believe that we are called to work for peace, I would oppose any kind of action outside of smiling and waving. Breaking the fangs, to me, means taking the power away from the viper, thus rendering it harmless.

I must confess that in the beginning I allowed this argument to get me all worked up. But I do realize now that anything that strengthens my desire to spend time in the Word is a blessing, and I await any response that you have.

If the rest of you out there would like to reference this article, it is: www.wcg.org/lit/ethics/War04.htm

5 comments:

lisa d said...

job's news certainly was the catalyst for this debate, but my arguments are fueled more by my intense feelings concerning violence vs. peace. i was both shocked and concerned by his decision, but don't worry, stranger, about him falling out of my good graces. for the eleven+ years that we have been friends, we have agreed on less than we have disagreed on- it's part of our schtick. i have, do and will love job. i would rather he slung burgers than bullets, but i know that this was not a decision that he made flippantly. i will continue to pray for peace and for my part within it.

as far as sitting on the fence goes, it is difficult to keep from thinking that we can generate the answers to our questions. times change, and people change, but we are loved by a God who is constant. He is a warrior. i am not ignoring that. i just think that we should be more wary of deeming ourselves the israelites.

Anonymous said...

ghandi overthrew a nation by taking jesus' advice to turn the other cheek. it can be done. the question, really, is - am i willing to lay down my OWN life in order to make change happen? or do i think the OTHER GUY should lay down his life? forcefully. and at a time of my choosing.

Steve said...

I just made it back here - right before class - so I'll be back to comment a little before too long.

lisa d said...

well it's nice to (kind of) officially meet you.

sarah said...

actually, you're connected through one dgree, or is it two?
lisa and me and chad and tricia have been friends from camp for ten years or so, which means we're even connected!