Saturday, March 31, 2007

My last boyfriend was from Zacatapec, Mexico (the reason for my 'I don't date esl' rule). On our first Valentine's Day I decided to get him a card en espaƱol, which was very easy to do in my hometown of Oxnard. Because we had only been together since December, I found myself searching for any card void of the words "amor" or "esposo". I finally settled on a card with a black and white picture of a sailboat with red edges, and a short message. It didn't have any cartoon animals, bright red hearts, or lip prints, so I figured it was a good choice.
I took it in to work with me on the day before the big day, to have my friend Ralph look it over for anything gooshy or overly heartfelt that I had missed.

After his hysterical laughter had subsided, he said:

"Lisa, you can't give this to him."

"Why not??"

"Because it says 'To my favorite Uncle on Valentine's Day!!!'"

2 comments:

sharon said...

HA!!!

I LOVE this story. And I really wish that you would have given it to him, and then called him tito throughout your whole relationship, as an endearment.

I amuse myself with my thoughts. I miss you!

lisa d said...

i actually did give it to him, but he didn't find it nearly as amusing as i had. that should have been my first clue that he'd turn out to be a crappy boyfriend :)