Wednesday, June 13, 2007

John Fox



On Thursday night after our trip to Hemet, I half-jokingly said to Sarah "Okay, well I guess I'll talk to you later tonight at the hospital." I got the call at 5:36 a.m.



Sarah is amazingly good at being in labor and birthing children, so between contractions we all sang Salt n' Pepa's "Push It" and posed for pictures.









This post comes late because it is difficult to explain being a witness to the birth of a child of two dear friends. It's thrilling. I think I at one point benignly said "you can do it Sarah" (I was never a cheerleader), but other than that I just stood, awed. A child's first seconds of life don't simply point to God, they rip and claw fiercely through any notion of self-reliance. If you are ever asked to take part in it, do. Even if you are ridiculously squeamish, if you rock from side to side, and wring your hands a lot, you'll be fine.




Then, if you happen to be in Palm Springs, go park yourself under some palm trees, and get that mama a steamer!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"A child's first seconds of life don't simply point to God, they rip and claw fiercely through any notion of self-reliance."

Wow! I love the way you stated that truth!

sharon said...

Hey- I loved that too!!!!
I'm so glad you were there, even though I am a bit jealous. Must find wormhole...
love you!

Anonymous said...

What on earth is a steamer?? I'm thinkin' a big honkin boat! I'm sure Sarah would enjoy a cruise!

lisa d said...

haha- a caramel-flavored steamed milk. i'm sure if given the choice between the two she'd take the cruise, but those tates sure enjoy their tasty beverages!