Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Some Of The Obstacles Thus Far



I've been brushing my teeth at the kitchen sink to avoid this (today is my fifth day living here- the rust is almost gone now).




This is the only thing that really made me freak out and have a short, crying anxiety attack during the move. You know how moving is usually a grueling, exhausting task for a group of movers that takes from sunup to sundown? Well, when you do it alone it takes six days. Josh helped me move all of my furniture on Friday, and fortunately for me, he was a tremendous mover. And he worked for diet soda. Brilliant. I was already kinda brain-dead from the pre-move, and he didn't get mad at me for not knowing in advance what furniture we'd move, and what would go to the dump. After we had gotten all of the big stuff in, I tried to get things settled into their permanent places. We ended up dropping a lot of stuff off in the living room of the Maple Lodge (which is not mine) so I decided to clear the boxes off of my dining room table and move it into place after I'd wrestled with the couch, huge chair and entertainment center (which, by the way, is a term that I hate- entertainment center- so pompous). It wouldn't fit through the door. After trying every angle, I used all of my remaining energy to lug it out of the building and around to the back door while trying to keep it out of the snow. I got it halfway through the door and started brushing some snow off of it and somehow broke one of the legs. I straightened it out, put it in its place then realized that the space was too small for the chairs. Cue the freakout.

The next day I realized that the refrigerator could be moved over about six inches, so it's tight, but they fit.

And this is the hole in the wall where lots of cold air blows in. I didn't notice it until my second night sleeping there, but once I taped it up there was no longer need to sleep in a hooded sweatshirt.

3 comments:

Rocket Surgeon, Phd said...

Outstanding work, Lisa!!

I will call you soon to share with you all the bachelor tips I've learned over my years of being hopelessly adrift on the sea of life.

lisa d said...

sweet! that will be valuable advice since you (and the majority of your family?) have lived within these same walls. i'm sure one of you has already compiled some sort of culture-guide to the staff house and hidden it in a wall somewhere. i'm on the lookout.

sarah said...

i hate the name 'entertainment center' too. it's just ugly.