Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Oh, This Mountain...


This is a picture of Angelica disposing of mouse carcass #2. I went into work very late on Friday because I found mouse droppings on my kitchen counter. I moved everything in the area and sanitized like mad. I rewashed dishes as I wistfully longed for the less disgusting moldy windowsills and flat hair of beach living. That night around 10:00, I went to the kitchen, reached for a canister on the counter and jumped when a mouse ran right beneath my hands and under the rack full of clean dishes. I pounded on the sink's rim and it ran back out and behind the washer and dryer- filthy beast. I hit the button on the dryer in the hope of scaring it far, far away and let it run for a few minutes while I stood hating wildlife. I opened the cupboards under the sink to check the traps that Keith had set before I moved in, and jumped again when I saw carcass #1 bloated and still. I shut the doors, unwilling to think about it anymore, took a long shower, then went to bed. The next day, still feeling a little traumatized by this proximity to filth and betrayed by cracks and crevices of my home, I asked Josh to do me a solid and get rid of #1. He did my dirty work and loaned me camp's electro-shock-I-pity-da-mouse-who-gets-near-this!!! trap.
After hanging out at the Tates' a few hours after work, the Barrs and I headed over to my place to check the trap and, sure enough, there was #2. Angelica wanted to look at it, which bought her the honor of chucking it outside. After that unpleasantness, we spent about twenty minutes eating mentos and taking goofy pictures, then went to bed.




9 comments:

Rocket Surgeon, Phd said...

rough...

Never quit, Lisa. Vermin are such evil.

Kaitlin said...

Mmmm...moldy windowsills and flat hair. I know how that goes. Glad you're utilizing my sisters' strengths effectively!

ray-chill said...

Trapped any mice lately?

lisa d said...

none since you guys left! i think we scared them off.

ray-chill said...

yay!

Mom 8X said...

We had a rat in our apartment when first married. Actually, it was a family of rats. Kevin and I couldn't figure out why there was dog food in the chest of drawers. Traps didn't work so we resorted to poison. They were disgusting!

lisa d said...

ugh. the trap has worked so far, thankfully. rats would be a whole other story...i'd have traps, poison, a bb gun, and perhaps as a last resort...a cat :)

Rocket Surgeon, Phd said...

I'd like to take this opportunity...


..to thank the vermin peoples for showing Lisa the error of her pacifist ways. Like islamo-fascists, vermin cannot be reasoned with and must be dealt with vigorously and relentlessly. And lastly: Don't mess with Texas.

lisa d said...

oh, jobias, don't. we've kind of been getting along lately.