Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Five or six years ago, while living in Oxnard, I began attending Malibu Vineyard Church. My oldest brother, Dave, had been going there for some time, and was playing bass in one of the church's worship bands- The Lifting. Being in Malibu, the church had splashy views, a coffee bar and the the very latest in light, video and sound, making it the Hollywoodesque spectacle one would imagine it to be. Despite the glitz, I found a home there for a while, and enjoyed (possibly more than the meeting itself) the drive along the Pacific Coast to and from.


Lifehouse had been one of the worship bands there up until 2001 when "Hanging By A Moment" made it onto the charts. It made a big impression on me- the notion that a song crafted in adoration for Christ could be adopted as a secular love song. And now the point of this meandering post: Doing the opposite- looking for phrases in "secular" songs that can resonate with one's relationship with God has become a pastime of mine. This is easy considering that I am unusually dense when it comes to interpreting lyrics. "that song's about WHAT?" That's me. Love songs are simple converts, but I love finding a bit of Truth in something random. Jimmy Eats World's "A Praise Chorus" (which isn't- or maybe it is- again, I'm dense) includes the lyrics:



"Someone's gonna ask you what it's all about.

Whatcha gonna have to say for yourself?"



Which makes me think of 1 Peter 3:15.

But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.

And the response?

"I'm on my feet. I'm on the floor. I'm good to go." I am ready to walk. Probably not what they mean, but to me it's part of the song.


A couple of months ago, I was feeling particularly anxious about life in general, and took a long walk to pray it over. And although I only knew the chorus of this song before googling it today, it was what crept into my internal radio.


You're all I need to get by.
Like the sweet morning dew, I took one look at you,
And it was plain to see,
you were my destiny. With my arms open wide,
I threw away my pride
I'll sacrifice for you
Dedicate my life for you
I will go where you lead
Always there in time of need
And when I lose my will
You'll be there to push me up the hill
There's no, no looking back for us
We got love sure 'nough, that's enough
You're all, You're All I need to get by.
I all, you're all I want to strive for
and do a little more
All, all the joys under the sun wrapped up
into one
You're all, You're all I need to get by.

You're all I need to get by.
Like an eagle protects his nest, for you I'll
do my best,
Stand by you like a tree, dare anybody to try
and move me
Darling in you I found
Strength where I was torn down
Don't know what's in store but together we can
open any door
Just to do what's good for you and inspire you a
little higher
I know you can make a man out of a soul that didn't
have a goal
Cause we, we got the right foundation and with love
and determination
You're all, You're All I need to get by.
I all, you're all I want to strive for and do a
little more
All, all the joys under the sun wrapped up into one
You're all, You're all I need to get by.

3 comments:

barefootkangaroo said...

D'I like it.

john tate said...

This is a wonderful post Lisa - I do the same sort of thing - maybe not consciously though. Dylan's: "If you aint got nothing you aint got nothing to lose" had me thinking recently about Christ's parable in Matthew 13 about the merchant seeking fine pearls. Kanye West's: "If the devil wears prada and Adam and Eve wear nada then I'm more like neither" just had me thinking I guess:)

lisa d said...

between the youth group's amazement that i would dare to listen to secular music and the big pine lodge marathon music debates, i've been thinking about this a lot. if we believe that all things hold together in Christ, i think it's silly not to look for Him everywhere-even on kroq.

"You used to ride on the chrome horse with your diplomat
Who carried on his shoulder a siamese cat"...hmmm....